There is no shame in seeking therapy for sexual issues. As an experienced therapist I provide a therapeutic space safe to talk about sex for both individuals, partners and spouses suffering from compulsive sexual behaviors. My practice specifically specializes in working with those who have found themselves suffering due to sexual addiction, compulsive sexual behaviors and the consequences of infidelity and betrayal. My program can help those find a way to heal not only their own pain but to heal those relationships that have been effected. My goal is to help patients understand the underlying motives of their sexual behaviors by using an integrative therapeutic model to control unwanted behaviors as well as self-reflection and growth. I work with both adults and adolescents.
It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for proper evaluation of your sex concerns, however, you may also want to look out for the following signs:
- You feel powerless over how you act sexually.
- Your sexual choices are making your life unmanageable.
- You feel shame, embarrassment or even self-loathing over your sexual acts.
- You promise yourself you’ll change, but fail to keep those promises.
- You’re so preoccupied with sex it becomes like a ritual to you.
- Your relationships are suffering
- Finding yourself engaging in sexual behavior that is considered illegal
What is Sex Addiction?
There are many forms of sexual addiction. Sex addiction is a form of hyper-sexuality in which the individual is unable to control sexual urges and behaviors. It is characterized by failure to control or curtail sexual behavior even though it leads to harmful consequences. Often, these behaviors interfere with daily life and eventually results in serious physical, social and psychological complications. These sexualized behaviors are typically compulsive, concealed and obsessive. Rather than integrating sex into life and relationships, individuals use sex as a means of coping with stress, dealing with loneliness, handling boredom and feeling important or powerful. Some individuals suffer from cybersex addiction, which involves compulsive cybersex, pornography viewing and other sex-related online behaviors.
Sex addiction manifests in a variety of risky, obsessive and maladaptive behaviors. Some of the most common include:
- Multiple affairs
- Multiple and/or anonymous sexual partners
- Compulsive masturbation
- Obsessive use of pornography
- Prostitution or use of prostitutes
- Compulsive use of online dating apps or scanning sexual adds for sexual purposes or attention
- Exhibitionism (including sexualized photo or video exchanges)
Symptoms of Sex Addiction
- Continued, obsessive behaviors, despite interference with everyday life
- Need to increase the intensity, frequency, or risk of sexual behaviors in order to achieve the same desired affects (tolerance)
- Increased isolation
- Losing track of time when engaging in sexual behaviors
- Failure to resist impulses
- Withdrawal symptoms when behaviors are discontinued
- Obsession with sexual thoughts and behaviors
- Feelings of distress, anxiety, restlessness and, in rare cases, violence if unable to engage in sexual behavior